"And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me."
Matthew 18:5

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Shopping day

Yesterday in the afternoon Kevin walked around near the hotel and talked to a few locals. He is facinated with the culture, although mostly annoyed at some of the big differences (younger men do not allow women to go first, the Chinese crowd your personal space, most times they seem in a big hurry and will push and shove to get somewhere). He thinks they are rude but I think that is just how they are. Kevin is also amused at the traffic and driving here. Scary is all I can say about that!

Last night we had the dinner buffet here at the hotel. Totally not worth 78 yuan per person (about $10). We won't be doing that again. Then we just relaxed and played in the hotel room. Macey is very playful.

Today we went to the Wal-Mart Supercenter in Nanchang. It's very much like an American Wal-Mart, except for the baby chickens cooked whole and the squid. Yuck! No pictures of those as I was just grossed out. But we did buy a toy for Lena, some shoes for Macey, some snacks and a couple other little things. There was also a KFC inside the Wal-Mart where we had lunch. Macey gobbled down her entire mashed potatoes and most of her chicken nuggets. She fed a few to me & Kevin.

Macey's real personality is starting to come out. She falls to the floor and cries if she doesn't get her way. Temper tantrums are universal I guess! She is also laughing and smiling a little more each day. We are really enjoying her.

It is very interesting to see all the Christmas stuff everywhere and hear the Christmas music playing. Obviously it is a secular holiday only here. It's about Santa and gifts, nothing about Christ's birth. So strange to me since Christ's birth is the reason Christmas is so meaningful to me.

We are just relaxing for the remainder of today. The next two days we have sightseeing tours as we wait for Macey's passport to be issued.

Here are some photos from last night and today at Wal-Mart and KFC.



























4 comments:

Nancy said...

Beautiful pictures! My favorite is Macey feeding Kevin! I am sure he was quite a shock to her at first!

BTDT with the tantrums. 3 of my 4 were "through yourself on the ground and kick and scream" kids. Just a heads up, Sam, my then 4 year old that was long over those tantrums, started them again when Jack came home! I nipped that in the bud as quickly as I could.

Keep the photos coming! It is fun to watch her open up.

Nancy in PA

Anonymous said...

Donna, Macey is beautiful! You three look very happy and God has truly blessed you with two wonderful daughters. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Have a safe trip home. Lots of love!

Jo Ann Rosenbloom

Carol said...

Oh I see some smiles in there!!

Anonymous said...

Very cool! We'll be in Nanchang in a couple of weeks, and my kids were overjoyed to see photos of McDonalds, KFC and Subway :) Your daughter is beautiful!

Lana
Another GWCA WC family